The Secret to Getting Your Feet Firmly Planted on the Ground

Do you feel plagued by excessive thinking?  Or, spaced out and in the clouds?

Are you often agitated or easily knocked off balance?  Do you frequently succumb to impulses or have trouble with consistency and staying true to your purpose and priorities?

You’ve probably noticed – and even envied – the sense of presence and confidence that exudes from people who are rooted within themselves.   People who have their feet firmly planted on the ground.

You can develop this same sense of poise and self-assurance.

In fact, the capacity to feel centered already exists within you.  The trick is to consistently use your awareness to remember and cultivate it.

An Essential Formula to Activate A Confident Presence

As an active thinker and trauma survivor, it’s sometimes a struggle to keep my own feet firmly planted on the ground.  I’ve discovered these three elements are key for coming back down to earth:

• Inhabit the body.
  • Remain anchored in the present moment.
  • Feel connected to the earth beneath your feet.

Here are some simple methods to help you actualize these elements in your life.

12 Ways to Re-Inhabit Your Body and Reconnect with Your Ground

First, a small warning.

Naturally, your habit of thinking, daydreaming, agitation, or losing your self will attempt to intrude when you try to establish this new way of being. That’s par for the course.

Whenever your mind starts to take over or begins to float away, just gently bring it back to your focus:  your body, the present moment, or the earth.  Just gently bring yourself back.  There’s no need for reprimands.  In fact, they are usually counter-productive.

1. Walk barefoot and feel the ground.
  2. Walk mindfully.  Place your attention on your steps; on the feeling and sensation of walking.  When your mind wanders, bring it back to the act of walking.
  3. Sit on the ground.  Feeling the stability and substantiality of the earth.  Breathe it in.  Let this feeling permeate and pervade your whole body and being.
  4. Practice any form of breath awareness like belly breathing or counting your breaths.
  5. Engage in a relaxation exercise like a body scan meditation or progressive muscle relaxation.
  6. Receive bodywork and tune into the touch, the pressure, the changes occurring in your body as your muscles release and relax.
  7. Share moments of touch with another person or a pet.
  8. Try movement practices like Tai Chi, Qigong, or Yoga or movement therapies like The Feldenkrais Method of Somantic Education or the Alexander Technique.
  9. Dance.
  10. Exercise.
  11. Practice a body-based meditation like the Four Foundations of Mindfulness or practices of meditative concentration.
  12. Imagine a cord of golden energy traveling from your lower body deep into the center of the earth.

Start with just one activity that would be easy and enjoyable to integrate into your life.  Regular practice is essential to change.  So set an achievable goal to practice a set amount of time and a certain number of days each week.  Make it fun and a special gift to yourself.

If you would like to feel more stable, confident, and sure, give some of these exercises a try.  In time, you’ll exude a new sense of presence and others will be taking note of you.

Do you find it challenging to stay rooted in yourself?  What helps you?

If you enjoyed this articles, please share the link with others.  I would love to connect with you on Google+ or the Always Well Within Facebook Page.  With love, Sandra.

Comments

I tend to have the opposite problem: too rooted and too firm in my ways. I looked at the list above and found a few things that would help me become a little less grounded by feeding my creative and openness sides. It is all about perspective!

Perfect – “plagued by excessive thinking” I need a t-shirt with that on it. You list great suggestions; I too suffer from this affliction. I find that giving myself a face massage with moisturizer helps as well – or sitting quietly listening to myself breath.

I have a whole new set of tools for my toolbox now – thank you.

Hi there!

I think you could make a fortune on that t-shirt! A face massage…now that sounds beautiful. There are hundreds of muscles (or something like that) in our face). Relaxing those muscles seems to have a knock-on effect!

Nice to “connect”.

Sandra, this post is perfectly timed. I’ve been losing weight that I shouldn’t be losing this winter — essentially because I get so caught up in my own head that I forget to eat. I love sensory detail, but I’m often impatient with being a biological being. (Eat three times every single day? Is that really necessary?) I’m not sure I’ve ever learned how to really inhabit my own body. Your suggestions are practical, and I will try to incorporate more of them into my life To your list, I would only add: eat mindfully and nourish your body!

Hi Jennifer,

I used to be very irregular with meals too, but now I’m very consistent. I’m sure you will get there too. I think there’s a whole lot of us who haven’t learned to inhabit our bodies. It’s a challenge for me too and that’s why I wrote this post. Taking time for one or two of these exercises each day does help me out. Eating mindfully is a great addition. Thanks for that!

I love going barefoot in the summer. I always have. And you know I am a big proponent of belly breathing. In fact, we were practicing that together in my discussion group this week. Great tips for staying grounded. My favorite grounding practice is to sit on the ground by the creek that runs in front of my cabin. I’m going to the cabin this weekend, but no ground sitting now. I’ll practice mindful walking in the snow!

Hi!
    Yes, I can image sitting on the ground would really give a chill this time of the year! Thanks for sharing your grounding practice. Enjoy your mindful walking!

When I was younger, I always found it difficult to stay rooted to the present moment. Over time I realized this was due to my fears and worries where I always tried to imagine what would happen in the future. The larger the crisis, the more unbalanced I became. Soon, I was reacting in a wild manner to event problem that arose even though I thought I was making the best choices I could.

I love the 12 ways that you have shared to help us keep our feet firmly planted on the ground. I think it is important that when we start to lose focus or when our mind starts to drift away from the present moment, we need to realize it is ok and natural. All we need to do is to bring our focus back to the present moment again.

The method that I use for always being in the present moment is my awareness of the Tao of each situation. Because fear arises when you face unknowns, knowing brings peace and calm and allows me to stay focused in the moment. After all, if you knew exactly how things would turn out, what is there to be afraid of?

Yesterday, I had dinner with 3 ladies. They were all old friends and I knew only one of them recently. Now, being an introvert, I am not the most outgoing of people. Groups make me nervous. Thankfully, I had the I-Ching so I divined how the dinner would go and noted exactly how I should behave during the dinner.

The Yijing advised caution and I made sure I watched myself carefully so that I did not shoot my mouth off and say the wrong thing. I usually do that when I try too hard to fit in and bounce into new relationships with a familiarity that has not yet been established. With this early warning, I avoided making that mistake. Thus, I made it through the evening with few difficulties. Because I was aware at every step of how things would go, I could remain in the present without worries.

Knowledge is power. Knowing brings peace and calm. Yes some knowledge may be unwelcome, but the sooner we know, the sooner we can accept it and deal with it. This is the best way to always keep my feet firmly planted on the ground.

Thank you for sharing this lovely article!

Irving the Vizier

This is excellent advice, Irving: “I think it is important that when we start to lose focus or when our mind starts to drift away from the present moment, we need to realize it is ok and natural. All we need to do is to bring our focus back to the present moment again.”

You example fully illustrates the way that knowledge can indeed power us and help us feel more grounded. It doesn’t necessarily mean “being in our head too much.” We have intelligence and it makes sense to use it in a balanced way. Thanks for looking at the question from this new angle.

Hi Sandra
    I want only to say..
    I love your color setting on your blog ..it is just beautiful..everything!
    Smiles and have a great weekend!