Usually, I’m drawn to setting up a slew of experiments for the summer. But, I have just one goal this sunny season: to be at ease.
The essential threads of life will continue: writing, responding to meditation students, clearing weeds and vines, and regular meditation practice, but intertwined this particular summer with ample time for rest, journaling, and reading a few good books.
I try to capture the essential points – just a few – from each book I read, and find ways to actualize them. From this perspective, my summer reading list might seem on the longish side. But, I’m not worried as it will be just as good if this reading happens to extend itself into the fall.
It’s time to finish reading these books:
- The Emotionally Absent Mother – A Guide to Self Healing and Getting the Love You Missed – This is not an entirely easy read as it can touch on soft spots, but it’s incredibly worthwhile.
- Open Heart, Open Mind – Awakening the Power of Essence Love – This book has an excellent section on the Four Mindfulnesses.
It would be helpful to refresh myself on these outstanding primers on healing trauma:
- Healing Trauma, A Pioneering Program for Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body
- Beyond the Trauma Vortex Into the Healing Vortex, A Guide for You
These books are calling to me:
- The Heart is Noble, Changing the World from the Inside Out
- The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD
- Zen on Fire, How I Found Peace in the Midst of War
- Dakini Power, Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
- The Shambhala Principle, Discovering Humanity’s Hidden Treasure
- Bouncing Back, Rewiring Your Brain for Maximum Resilience and Well-Being.
I’m beginning to realize my quiet summer may only be a dream as I neglected to consider a few major projects looming on the horizon. Nevertheless, whatever happens, my goal is to expand my ability to be at ease and to read at least a few good books.
What’s on your reading list this summer?
[Please note these are affiliates links and I’ll receive a tiny commission if you use my link and then make a purchase. Thanks for your support!]
I’m so glad you’re here! If you liked this article, please consider subscribing for free updates by email. With love, Sandra