It’s Never Too Late for Joy!

This is one of those remarkable not-to-be-missed videos, which illustrates how a simple act of kindness can infuse another person’s life with joy.  You’ll witness the miraculous transformation of a despondent, withdrawn elderly man to one full of love, joy, and life through the use of simple modern technology and the power of music.  The process demonstrates again that the brain can change when given the right “medicine.”

Enjoy and please share!

Comments

You know I love it! Isn’t it amazing what music can do to the brain? I did music therapy as part of my therapy in recovering from my brain injury, but, I swear my iPod has been just as big a part of my recovery!

Even though I have spent the last 5 years alone, some of it in isolation, I have never truly been alone because I always had my music. It has been such a companion to me. Very important then, now, and always.

I thought you would like this! It so amazing to hear how music has accompanied you on your own recovery. What a blessing! I’m so happy to know you, Debbie and to learn all about transforming pain from you.

I watched the video as someone posted it on FB the other day. Amazing. Music is so powerful and something I used to do a lot… (before writing so much ;-)

It’s just so joyful to witness the power in someone becomeing awake and alive. Good thing its happening everyday in some way, we just have to learn to be aware of it more.

It is so beautiful to see! I find I need to make a conscious effort to balance my writing with other activities otherwise I spend too much time in my head! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I saw this earlier on Perez and sobbed at my office desk (I work from home:) It is beyond beautiful & truly touching. I was going to post, but was working. I can’t believe I somehow stumbled upon your blog and the first post I saw was this! I love that this touched you like it has me and many other people. Great post & blog :) xoxo

Wow, the synchronicity is awesome! We’re just all in tears today….
      BTW, I love the look of your blog and your beautiful heart. Nice to connect!

5. galenpearl says

You’ve been coming up with some pretty amazing videos lately! Do you go seeking them or do you stumble across them?

Well, I may be the one curmedogeon (sp?) here…. yes, it is wonderful that Henry became so alive and that the music he listened to gave him so much joy. Perhaps my perspective is different on this because I actually used to be a music therapist… away way back in the mid 80s and early 90s. I was trained in professional music therapy and got to know many wonderful music therapists (and other creative arts therapists) working in nursing homes, psychiatric hospitals, schools, and many more settings. I myself worked in a nursing home and psych hospital in Connecticut for about five years.

What feels to me a bit ‘off’ in this story is that Henry was simply handed some headphones… there wasn’t much that was interactional or relational about the experience of the music. What I witnessed during my days as a music therapist was how meaningful it was for people to listen to live music, and to actually take part in making the music themselves… singing along with their favorite songs, improvising on xylophones and percussion instruments, even writing songs together. You’d be amazed at the magic that can happen when people share music live.

Sure, technology is wonderful and I don’t want to take away from the experience that Henry has here, but I also know how much more is possible… how much more interaction, intimacy, and creativity. I hope we never think that an iPod is a substitute for the act of making and listening to music together… in the same way that the Internet is a wonderful to connect with people but can never take the place of getting to know another human being warm hand to warm hand.

I’m glad you offer this perspective, Maia. I was wondering about this as surely music has been a part of therapy for many years. So I’m glad you clarified this. This is a really good point about not thinking of an i-pod as a substitute for making music together. I’m really happy Henry came alive in this moment and he sees such a beautiful connection between music, love, and God, but yes there must be much more to music therapy than this. Thanks so much for bringing this perspective.

7. Despi says

This was truly touching as it provides meaning, not only for him, but for us all in that we need harmony in our lives. The “who” within and the living without sometimes seems less than harmonious which brings discordance. The spiritual nature within us and physical realities sometimes don’t make beautiful music. Therefore, we feel stuck inside ourselves…needing a kind of sense of value as we are – bridging the gap between who we are and who others are so we don’t feel such separateness as often it is affirmation by others which gives the verve in life. We’re made to connect…I’m not referring to busyness which can mask what’s going on inside, and I don’t mean other’s speech-type-of-connection unless it is a sensitive, reaching speech. I don’t think I often consider this, except with the elderly (esp. when they are quiet). The video shows a sensitive woman recognizing the need to reach in. We can look to people and have many opinions about externals which tends to separate further because it doesn’t connect to the inner part them and vice versa. Lately, I’ve had too much time to myself with a sick husband and older children keeping me out of the connection I’ve had for awhile. Still, the “me” gets covered up in busyness and can, for too long. This is generally good, because too much introspection may not be of value, however, recognizing the cover-up that can take place, is of value. Then as we approach middle life (for many of us), we may see more clearly as changes reveal it. To find others that connect with us is difficult since people are at different stages. What keeps my head above water is knowing there is an infinite God who loves me. This said, I don’t discount the need for other connections which can help fill the vaccuum within. Spouses, children and parents and others can be a support if we attempt to have better connections. I put on music in the car the past few days to get me “out of myself.” The words of the singer helped me focus on something else rather than being overcome with the many situations in my life that are causing discordance. I realize some changes will help and prayerfully need to work toward it. Still, the “connection” aspect with others is fading, and I sense it may not get easier unless I find a place for myself (maybe others are thinking they need others, too). I may be one that has a harder time being alone. My mother, in her 80′s, (living with my sister who works, not nearby), is in a similar spot and is having a hard time. I can, in reality say, I understand. It could be a feature of our particular need for construction of meaning in life through interaction. Thanks for listening.