The Joy of a Meaning-Less Life

Everything that happens in our mind and our life is just empty energy if we subtract the meaning we ascribe to it.  All the good/bad, better/worse, like/dislike, and so on.

All the meanings we create are at the heart of our suffering.

The way to a meaningful life is to drop all the meanings.  To be vividly present to whatever occurs with bare awareness without constructing concepts about it.  To allow all the discursive thoughts to melt away.

This isn’t to say that we function without discernment.  Discernment – the ability to distinguish clearly – is not the equivalent of judgment.  When we begin to clear away all the hope and fear, we intuitively know what’s wholesome and what’s unwholesome.  Love, kindness, and compassion naturally blossom and we act accordingly.  There’s more space, more joy, more freedom.

Thank you for reading!  With love, Sandra

Image:  Public Domain

Comments

This is a very wise post dear Sandra. Our suffering does indeed lie in our stories and the way we believe in them without realizing it. Freedom from the need to find meaning opens the way to non-judgmental discrimination and compassionate ‘right action’. Thank you.

Very beautifully said, Miriam! Yes, often we don’t even realize how much trouble our stories are giving us. I know this is an idea that you understand and embrace fully. Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

This piece was worth a good, long period of consideration, Sandra. We are built/born to seek meaning, but it’s true that each “truth” we gain also cages us and restricts us from continuing to grow. I guess that is the difficulty in balancing, if we allow too much attachment. Thank you for keeping me in… play.

I appreciate your thoughts and your consideration, Mike. This might sound nihilistic, but that’s not the intended meaning. I think some of us have this internal drive to seek meaning but I’m not sure it manifests in all of us in this lifetime. This drive for meaning can lead us to do “good”, which is the way to go but even then we may not be coming from a place of clarity. Eventually, this drive might lead us to seeing that suffering is woven into the dualistic way we look at the world and our own mind.

You are definitely worthy of this sort of play!

5. patricia60 says

All the meanings we create are at the heart of our suffering. ”

I have just read 26 posts about letting go/ release/ quitting…it must be part of the energy of February and the start of March? hmmm

I do not know what to let go of….
    more good writing Thank you for sharing

Hi Patricia, Wow, 26 posts about letting go? That’s a lot. In meditation we let go of our thoughts. That might be one place to start! But only if you want to… All the best to you.

Your post title caught my attention–intriguing. There are two meanings, maybe. The meaning that we attach to things that increases our suffering. And the meaning that is beyond words, the universal meaning that remains when we drop our own. Something to meditate on!

> vividly present to whatever occurs with bare awareness
    I like to apply the “beginner’s mind” to the now experience, and take comfort in the wisdom of experience, and the ability to take the balcony view.

I think it’s this ability and freedom of focus to step in or step back, to hang on or let go, that empowers us to count what counts, and let the rest go.