Could Your Love Save a Life?

“Premature babies who survive are tiny miracles of modern medicine. Kyrie (red dot) and Brielle Jackson are also examples of a far more primitive science, that of the loving touch. Born 12 weeks early, the twins were whisked into separate incubators.

Kyrie, the larger at two pounds three ounces, slept peacefully. But Brielle had breathing and heart-rate problems, didn’t gain weight and fussed when anyone tried to comfort her. Finally, a nurse tried a technique called ‘double bedding’ and put the sisters together for the first time since they shared a womb.

‘Brielle snuggled up to Kyrie,’ reports mom Heidi Jackson, ‘and she calmed right down.’

With her sister near, Brielle began to thrive. Sooner then expected, the girls went home…”

-Life Magazine, June 1996

The power of love, the power of kindness, the power of touch lies within your heart right now.  Let it free!  You never know…  It might just save someone’s life.

Photo:   Chris Christo/Worcester Telegram & Gazette called “The Rescuing Hug.”

If you enjoyed this inspiration, please share the link with others.   With love, Sandra.

Comments

Beautiful in so many ways!
    I was a preemie baby..I stayed four weeks in the hospital..and here I am fully blossomed:)
    We tend to think we need something “grandiose” or the “latest and greatest” technique or method or external whatever when indeed, the power of presence–of being unconditional love–is transformational. I am who I am today because of my ability to open my heart to receive and to share love, despite external.
    Thank you for the beautiful affirmation and for magnifying love!

Agree with the comment from Bob above, what a great thing to wake up to and read. Especially because the rest of the news, at least locally, seems especially depressing. I just love that photo!

How touching (pun intended!) As with almost all things, going back to what is simple and natural has many benefits. The power of touch is so healing as is evident in reiki, massage, body talk and more. I have experienced this myself. With a baby, I would imagine the energy is pure love. Just wonderful!

There are so many wonderful body-based healing modalities. I’m so glad you mentioned these! They speak to our being in yet another way. Thanks for the reminder, Debbie.

Sandra,.
    My twins are 35 and when they were born one weighed a 1/2 lb more than the other. The other then got a bowel infection and was transferred to another hospital while the healthier twin went home. They wouldn’t release the sick child until she weighed 5 lbs. It wasn’t happening. They finally sent her home realizing she missed her sister. Once home she reached 5 lbs.in no time. Isn’t love grand? xo

I remember reading that wonderful story when it first came out. It’s a good reminder to just trust in the bonds we form, and likewise how debilitating it can be when those bonds are broken. I am curious about what has happened to the twins since that photo.

Hi Meg,

I loved your Minimalist Woman birthday post! About the twins, I heard they were happy and healthy a few years later. But who knows now. Our connections sometimes deepen but they sometimes loosen over time.

This is a great story and photo.

I too was a premature baby, but I don’t remember the details despite my mom having mentioned it to me before.

Indeed human beings need love and touch to thrive and grow strong.

I am reminded of the inhuman experiment that the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II carried out in the 13th century to see if young infants raised without human interaction would speak a natural language once their voices matured. These children did not survive the experiments.

As regrettable as such an experiment was, it does show that love and touch can indeed save lives. No child should ever be deprived of it. It is also important to show and tell our loved ones we love them.

Thank you for sharing this lovely article!

Irving the Vizier

Greetings,

What a shocking story and experiment! But, of course, there is so much abuse worldwide that the same kind of story continues in a quiet and hidden way.

I’m just learning to open and love more myself. There are so many little ways we can do this and it can make such a difference in each others lives.

I wonder if premature babies have their own special qualities!

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

This image moves me more than I can say … I was born six weeks early in the late 1950s, and my first three months were spent in an incubator. The times being what they were, my mother was not allowed to touch or hold me — We did not bond. My whole life has become centered on loving relation, touch, and presence … To bond is to *be* in a way that we cannot aspire to in isolation …

Jaliya,

I’m so sorry for all the separation you experienced in your early years. I hope you are finding and enjoying loving connections now! Thanks for sharing the way this photo touched you. May we all be able to touch each other in loving and meaningful ways.