Take a Step to Disarm Digital Distress

An Invitation to Look Within:

Is there one step you can take this week to begin to disarm any sense of digital distress you feel in your online world?  Are you ready to commit?

Need ideas?   Check out  The Step-by Step Guide to Overcoming Digital Overwhelm

This week, I’m adding a second day off from social media.  What will you do?  Please share in the comments.

Comments

Way to go for paving the way with this idea. Yes, the digital world is wonderful, social media can be exciting, and our technology continues to advance. However, may we never forget the healing touch of Mother Nature. May we take time out to connect with all the elements. May we be comfortable in spending some time with ourselves and by ourselves, in stillness, in silence, to just be.

And so I join you in taking those days off from social media, nothing beats the outdoors for me…..it is funny because at first it felt a little strenuous, with fleeting thoughts that I should “be there”, sharing or checking in, and once I started taking days off, I am finding it harder to return to the digital world… LOL :) As with all things I am sure it is a matter of balance and personal cycles too. Sometimes we feel we want to talk and share, and sometimes we just want to be silent observers, or present elsewhere.

Evita,

I agree there are many positive aspects to the digital world! Yet I too have a fondness for Mather Nature.

Isn’t it funny how it’s just a little hard to let go at the beginning! I think it’s that way for most of us – just a little groove in our brain that needs a bit of ironing out. Like you though, I too feel less of a draw to digital frenzy.

You’re right though – everything has it’s perfect place and perfect cycle. It’s not a question of right or wrong but finding and fine tuning our own digital path. And that’s likely to change with time too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree with Evita that being outside is very helpful. I decided to turn the computer off and weed the garden this morning, for example. When I’m at my cabin, I have no phone or internet service, so that makes it easy! I’m also trying an experiment with turning the computer off after checking email/blog stuff in the morning. Just having to turn it back on keeps me from checking frequently. We’ll see how that goes. Anyway, finding some balance here is part of our world in these times. Thanks for sharing ideas!

Galen,

That’s a great idea about turning the computer off. We turn ours off at night, but there’s no reason not to do it during the day some times as you suggest. Glad you are finding your balance.

That would be fun to take a digital day off as a group! I’m currently taking Tuesday and Fridays off. I usually post on Sunday…but if the trend gets going, who knows, I may join you!

Because of your inspiration and example, I am going to make one day a week digital free. I just have to decide which one…maybe a different one every week.

Even though you are spending less time online, you still have a presence. This has proven to me that I do not have to show up and be counted every day to still be present on an ongoing basis.

OK. Big breath. Now to do it. Why is it so hard? I think, for me, it is also because I live by myself and spend so much time alone. Electronic communication is my interaction with others. Without it, I feel free,but also a lot more alone. Maybe, I need to get OK with that, huh?

Bravo! Like Evita says, it’s a little hard in the beginning but then it gets easier. I found that to be the case too.

I understand what you mean about electronic communication being your interaction with others. That’s a bit the case with me although I have a partner. So yes an uncomfortable feeling of being along might come up. But like you say, that’s part of the opportunity – to work with that too. And you will still have 6 days a week of contact.

Good luck. I would love to hear how it goes for you. I’m moving up to two days a week this month. And I think you are right. I still have an online presence and probably no one notices much that I’m off a few days a week.

It’s Wednesday and though I haven’t published a post on either blog I’m not feeling in the least stressed. I’ve had a month with dear friends. We spent most of our time outdoors on the beach, on the forest trails, in gardens, and speaking heart to heart. I feel more relaxed today than I have for a very long time. I’m not making any plans for the rest of the week other than enjoying every minute that’s left of the summer.

Thanks for being such an inspiration.
    With love,
    TiTi

timethief,

I’m so inspired by the serenity and joy you are finding in nature, being with your friends, and being offline. I really liked your last post on blogging with the seasons. I think it is you who is the inspiration!

I can rely on you to provide clarity and inspiration with a few well-chosen words and an important idea, Sandra. I’m in agreement with the majority. I’m going outdoors more. Specifically, on water.

I take a lot of downtime. I’ve found that it’s the downtime that helps my uptime the most. I’m not a fan of always on or always connected. I like it more in bursts and batches.

My favorite downtime is soaking up something new, or hitting the open road either on my feet or on my motorcycle.

You are such a dynamo, J. D., but I see there’s a secret to your dynamic energy. This ability to balance. I also like the idea of bursts and batches. I’ve seen so much accomplished in this way. Thanks for sharing your secrets. Enjoy the open road!

I find this idea very reassuring as I have recently most “accidentally” been offline far more than I have been on. I haven’t posted, nor have I enjoyed connecting through the various social media outlets, but I *have* had long walks at ocean’s edge, and quality time exploring the area with a friend who is staying with me, and fun connecting with my children. I find that my heart is happy, my soul is nourished and that now that I am “back” online what I choose to receive is life enriching and what I choose to share is fulfilling.

Joy, It sounds like a beautiful “accident”. Although we secretly know nothing happens by accident. :)

I’m so happy to see you feeling nourished and enriched. It’s interesting to see how offline and online can feed each other. The main thing is the magic you bring when it is the right time to share.

All my love to you.

What a wonderful reminder to “turn off the switch”! I must agree that social media has it’s place, but can not and should not be used in place of a real human contact. I’ve read somewhere that a human being is unable of having a real relationship with more than about 150 people. I know that amid my fans, followers, likes, etc… I have a hand full of real humans who I can call friends. And the funny part is that many times I will reach for the computer before dialing the phone. Well today (right after this comment) I’m turning off my laptop and calling a friend. Hopefully he won’t be too busy on Facebook to talk to me!

Thanks again!