30 days of getting results with J. D. Meier

I’ve been following 30 Days of Getting Results the Agile Way, a free 30-day online program presented by J. D. Meier, a Principal Program Manager on the Microsoft patterns & practices team.

The results have been fantastic, the program easy to follow, the approach inspiring and fun.  I highly recommend it to you.

The program is about finding and following your path to becoming an “unstoppable, creative force for your best results.” Here’s a brief overview from J. D.,

“In a nutshell, Getting Results the Agile Way is a simple system for meaningful results.  To put it another way, it’s a personal results system for work and life.   The personal piece is important.  It’s about empowering YOU to be YOUR best.

It’s time to get skilled in the art of results and learn proven strategies and tactics for making the most of what you’ve got.   This will help you make important shifts.”

Over the first week, I learned an extremely simple planning process that is applicable to any and all aspects of life or work.  For me, some of the greatest gains are coming from learning about boundaries:  what they are, how to create and implement them, and how to let go of everything else.

J. D. is guiding us through the process with day-to-day instructions, simple homework, and clarification via comments.  His explanations are crystal clear and his examples highly illustrative.  J. D.’s  playful spirit brings a sense of enthusiasm, relaxation, and joy to the endeavor.

If you are interested in meaningful results, fresh starts, flexibility, action rather than over-planning, and boundaries instead of burnout, you might like to recharge and renew yourself with this program.

Although the process has been underway for a week, it’s not too late to jump in. As J. D. says,

The system is designed to be easy to get started, and easy to get back on, if you fall off.  Just showing up is the first step.

Get a taste of 30 Days of Results by reading the initial overview (link above), read the first week of articles starting with the Day 1 Tour, and join us on tomorrow (Monday, August 9)  for the remaining three weeks.

I’m finding this a remarkable opportunity, one not to be missed!

If you liked this article, please share it with others.  Thanks so much, Sandra

Comments

Hey Sandra — it’s been great to have you follow along and your feedback has been helping me address some of the finer points that I need to bring more to the surface.

2. Sandra Lee says

J. D. Glad my input has been helpful. It’s a terrific program. I’m looking forward to the coming week.

3. varuni chaudhary says

Hey Sandra,
    Thanks 4 suggesting i shall certainly take this course and recommend it to others too.
    May God bless you for the love and care you put out to all
    varuni

• varuni chaudhary says

i did not know if i should post this question on JD’s or your blog.
      But it’s here because its a question to you. i have just read the Monday Vision-Day 2.
      Now if i make a story for my monday vision where i am the hero, does it not feed my already fat Ego. i find i send a lot of time on the story then.
      what to do?
      love
      varuni

Varuni, This is a good question. It could feed ego, but not necessarily.

Having a healthy sense of self is not the same as “ego” as meant in the Tibetan Buddhist teachings. J. D. always suggests approaching all this with a sense of playfulness, like it’s a game, and not taking it too seriously. In Buddhism, we use mind all the time to create positive stories – for example, the the antidote to anger is love, which is a positive story. This is a skillful way to use mind to overcome its negative habit patterns. It just depends on how attached we are to the story and the outcome. To be a Bodhisattva (a compassionate warrior) you need to have a healthy sense of self, but at the same time you need to realize the illusory quality of self. It’s not permanent, singular, or independent. At the same time, illusory doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. It’s neither permanent nor non-existing, we don’t fall into the extremes of either eternalism or nihilism.

In The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, it says “Ego is then defined as incessant movements of grasping at a delusory notion of “I” and “mine,” self and other, and all the concepts, ideas, desires, and activity that will sustain that false construction. The main point is the grasping and attachment. So if you find yourself spending a lot of time on the story, you can try to lighten up on that and loosen that up, not take it too seriously or fixate on it too strongly. It’s just a skillful means to help us be more effective in work and life.

Hope this makes sense!

You got me at “meaningful results, action and boundaries”! I’ll check it out after posting my comment. Thanks for passing it along… I’m always game for something that is inspiring and fun.

My best to you as you participate in the program!
    Theresa

I started reading J.D’s lessons for August and got to day 3, which I’ve been working with. I like how he says to pick three things to work on each day. I did that and found my stress levels instantly dropped, was more focused and got things done efficiently. Needless to say, I have some catching up to do. :)

Welcome Barbara, Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. The “power of three” is precisely what drew me to JD’s program. It has also given me great results. I’m glad it’s working for you. I love your blog! The short instructive posts and responsive reader comments are so helpful. So glad you stopped by.