Annabel Candy, who writes on empowering tips for life and work, made the following comment on my last post concerning the potential dangers of non-stick cookware. “The fact is they always get scratched in the end and then you end up with bit of Teflon in your food.”
I agree with Annabel, it’s virtually impossible to maintain safe non-stick cookware in addition to the fact that it emits toxic fumes when overheated. The warnings from Dupont about the potential dangers of Teflon brand non-stick coating apply to any non-stick coating not just Teflon. It’s also important to be cognizant of the dangers of non-stick coating when it is used in products other than cookware.
Non-stick cookware safety tips
However, if you cannot afford to make a switch to uncoated options like stainless steel, be sure to carefully read and follow use-instructions that come with your cookware and follow these safety tips whenever using non-stick coated cookware.
- Turn on the exhaust fan and/or open a window at the start of cooking.
- Do not preheat your non-stick cookware on high heat.
- Never leave non-stick cookware unattended on the stove
- Do not use non-stick coated cookware when cooking at high heat.
- Replace aged or damaged non-stick cookware.
It may only take two to five minutes for non-stick surfaces to exceed temperatures at which the coating breaks apart and emits toxic particles and gases.
And remember to remove your pet bird from the kitchen while cooking because the fumes from overheated non-stick coating can be fatal to these highly sensitive creatures.
If you liked this article, please share the link: